CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 26, 2007

When The Levees Broke

I'm ashamed to admit that when Hurricane Katrina hit the U.S. Gulf Coast and relief agencies began to solicit donations, my first thought was "why should I donate, I'm sure the government of the richest country in the world is down there right now helping those people with food, shelter and evacuation. It's the United States, they wouldn't abandon their own citizens!". Like most people, including the victims of Katrina, I honestly believed this…at first.

Well, we all know how that turned out. However I was recently jolted into an even more sinister reality when we rented the 4 part documentary that Spike Lee produced for HBO, called "When The Levees Broke". Believe me when I say that what we saw of the botched aftermath on tv and newspaper wasn't even the half of it. I was shocked AND awed at the total disregard for the victims of this catastrophe by their elected leaders, their government run emergency relief organization (FEMA) and their own military engineers (The Army Corp of Engineers who designed and constructed the deeply flawed levees which broke under the strain of water).

Check out "When The Levees Broke", and add the disaster in New Orleans to your list of reasons to loathe George W. Bush.

0 comments: