CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Faaaaame…

In my line of work I occasionally meet and sometimes work with musical artists who breathe that rarest of air known as "celebrity" – and like many folks I have this bad habit of imagining that most of my favourite artists will be as friendly and erudite as I imagine they will. With a few notable exceptions this has not always been the case. I should mention here that meeting artists whose work I don't like is never disappointing, because I just don't give a shit – they're marked from the get-go.

So here's a partial list of some of my better famous-people-meeting experiences;

Leonard Cohen – hands down the coolest person I've ever met; friendly, charming, patient, intelligent, and poetic. There is no doubt in my mind why women want to be with him, even in his later years. Leonard Cohen IS his writing made flesh.

(Sir) George Martin – the man produced the Beatles, which technically gives him license to be a total prick. The refreshing part is that he is anything BUT. His presence defines grace and humility. I actually began to tear up listening to him recall producing Beatles sessions. He was the English gentleman through and through.

Hunter S Thompson – he arrived an hour late, he mumbled his way through the interview (conducted by the inimitable Ted Woloshyn), he swore, he drank – it was the BEST, and had he been anything less I would have been truly disappointed. The high point came when I asked him to autograph my copy of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas";

Thompson: Who should I sign it to?

Me: 'To John' is fine

Interviewer (Ted): Why don't you sign it 'f*** off'

I now have an autograph that reads "To John - crush them when they tell you to f*** off. Hunter". It's one of my most prized possessions.

I was going to regale you with the list of celebrities whose presence I would sooner forget, but that would be easy and cheap. And so are they…

0 comments: