CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Douglas Coupland

Try and recall the most clever thought you've ever had. Then read just about any work of fiction by Douglas Coupland. Then start again.

Douglas Coupland is one of those writers who consistently makes you think "gee, I wish I'd thought of that". I recently read "J-Pod" in which he not only fills the pages with wildy imaginative characters whose lives are amusingly flawed, but also parodies himself as a writer and a public figure. Very clever.

Coupland is also a graphic artist and a sculptor. When MTV first signed on in the 80's, Douglas Coupland was responsible for creating all those nifty graphics that became their trademark.

A couple of months back, much to my delight, my wife discovered his DVD "Souvenir of Canada" at the local video store. Named for his book, this documentary follows Coupland as he strives to define what it is to be Canadian, albeit in an amusingly heartwarming way. He begins by purchasing a 1950's-built house in his hometown of Vancouver, which is destined for destruction (the house, not Vancouver). He then fills the house with every bit of Canadiana you can imagine, from stubby beer bottles to a large Canada goose decoy. The house isn't meant to be lived in, rather it's a living art installation. His "showing" is a large housewarming party for family and friends.

I love being Canadian, I love the diversity of the landscape, I love our quirky self-conscious culture, I love the snow – and I love Douglas Coupland's "Souvenir of Canada" for reminding us that this is a pretty special place to live.

0 comments: