CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Tommyland

I recently read Tommy Lees' autobiography "Tommyland", and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Tommy Lee and I will never be mistaken as kindred spirits, and I'm still not a Crue fan, but I totally respect his passion for music and life, and his honesty in addressing tabloid misconceptions AND owing up to his mistakes.

However if the book accomplished anything it was the overwhelming claustrophobia of fame, the "living in a glass house" thing. In this respect his descriptions put the reader in the midst of the madness – papparazi camped in trees outside his house, following him in cars, baiting him with deeply personal mistruths just to get a shot of he and his companion scowling. What I found especially galling, and I had no idea until I read this book, is that most of these dickheads carry mace to use against the objects of their affections if the celeb being photographed should, God forbid, react out of rage. How f***ing dare you. Don't get me wrong, I feel no pity for rockstars or movie stars who suddenly balk at fame because it puts them in the public eye. You asked for it, you got it. What I do have a problem with is the public's supposed "right to know" what goes on in these people's personal lives. What right to know??? The public's "right to know" is overstated. We have no more right to know what goes on in anyone's personal life than they do in ours UNLESS they have been convicted of a serious crime or have done something to intentionally harm another human being or infringe on their basic human rights.

Tommy, much respect – and I think I'll start calling my little corner of the world "Johnnyland".

0 comments: