CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Robert Pickton

Riding the subway a couple of weeks back I saw a poster for the new Hannibal Lecter film, I think it's called "Happy Meal" or some such thing. Conversely the front pages of all 4 Toronto papers that same morning were filled with pictures and headlines sensationalizing the opening of Robert Pickton's mass-murder trial in British Columbia. I don't know, I just thought the timing was a bit odd.

When jury selection for the trial concluded a few weeks ago speculation was that the trial would last up to a full year. As with any trial jurors are not allowed to discuss the proceedings with any person outside the courtroom. A full year of graphic testimony, horrific physical evidence and unimaginable mental and emotional anguish, not to mention bearing witness to the never-ending suffering of the victims' families and friends – with no outlet to vent. So many victims.

In his book "My Dark Places" James Elroy, in recalling his mother's murder, said "I'd like to find the asshole who came up with the term 'closure'. There is no closure'."

No closure, only pain.

0 comments: